The term “hit and run” is defined as fleeing the scene of an accident without leaving contact information or other pertinent information to another driver or victim. If you’ve been involved in a hit and run, you need proper legal counsel before you go to court. In this article, we will explain how you can find a qualified hit and run lawyer in Stroudsburg, PA.
Step 1. Understand the charges
The criminal penalties of a hit and run can range from misdemeanors to felonies. A misdemeanor is charged when a motorist flees the scene with minimal damage to another vehicle, or if no physical injuries are inflicted upon a victim. A felony will be recommended if property or another car has been significantly damaged, or if there is an injury to a person—whether a pedestrian or an occupant of another vehicle. A misdemeanor will have relatively minor consequences, while a felony can result in steep fines and a lengthy jail sentence. In addition to these criminal penalties, it can also mean the forfeiture of your driver’s license. A civil suit can also be brought against you.
Step 2. Search for experienced lawyers
In the event of a hit and run charge, you need to find an experienced hit and run lawyer in Stroudsburg who can guide you through the complex legal system. There are a few places you can begin looking:
- Lawyer review sites like Avvo, Findlaw, and LegalAdvice. These are sites where clients leave honest reviews of attorneys they’ve used.
- The American Bar Association can be a fantastic resource. There is a member directory that can be used to find lawyers in your local area.
- Use your local Chamber of commerce to find referrals. Call directly and ask to speak to a director. The director can usually recommend someone who has the qualifications to handle your case.
Step 3. Prepare for the consultation
For the lawyer to properly represent you in court, you will need to present him/her whatever information that’s important to the case. Follow these steps:
- Write down a summary of what occurred. Don’t omit any facts. When meeting with the lawyer, present the summary.
- Be prepared to discuss the context of the incident—discuss what happened immediately before and after the accident.
- Ask questions. Ask honest questions to the lawyer. If you’re aren’t satisfied with the answers, you receive, it’s best to find another hit and run attorney in the Stroudsburg, PA area.
Step 4. Choose the best fit
Not every lawyer you consult with will be a great fit for your case. Following the steps in this article, you will know how to find a hit and run lawyer in Stroudsburg. Find reputable lawyers, schedule consultations, be sure to ask questions, and you will find someone who you can trust to represent your best interests in court.